Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Miracle Sweatpants! - Becky

 

Photo courtesy of author

I recently went on a backpacking trip with family to hike in Yellowstone. Our trail had several river crossings, with water typically up past my knees. On the first day of the hike at the second river crossing, I was focusing so much on trying to keep my rolled up jeans dry, that I lost my footing in the swift current and I fell in the river. I laughed it off, but was pretty soaked clear up to my armpits. I then had to hike another mile or so to get to our campsite. When we got there, I discovered that my sleeping bag and pajama pants in my pack had gotten wet. We only had about an hour of sunlight left, so my husband found a spot on a tree in the fading sun to hang my sleeping bag. He unzipped it and laid it out to dry. He then turned around and saw a pair of sweatpants lying on the ground! He brought them to me, and we all racked our brains trying to figure out where they had come from. Had they dropped out of the sleeping bag or been left on the trail by another group? No one in our group had seen them on the ground (including my husband as he walked up to the tree). No one recognized them, they were perfectly clean, smelled like they were brand new, and they were just my size! However it happened that those sweatpants just suddenly appeared on the trail, I felt SO grateful I was able to wear dry, warm pants that night. Maybe someday I’ll find out this little miracle had a perfectly logical explanation. Until then, I’ll just assume those sweatpants dropped down from heaven just for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment