Saturday, March 13, 2021

A Wake up Call

Photo from churchofjesuschrist.org

"When I found out I was pregnant with my third child, it was a surprise and had come sooner than we had planned. We were a bit nervous about having three children under three, but decided to embrace the announcement with a full heart. 

When my son was born at the beginning of the 2020 pandemic, it was an overwhelming time. My normal coping mechanisms were all but impossible. I was quarantining and unable to see people. I had an injured hip and was unable to run. I loved to serve and felt lost with no clear way to minister to others and no calling. I was lost. It took me weeks to realize that my stress was making my anxiety levels rise. One day, I was so frustrated with my daughter, I threw a shoe. Luckily the shoe didn’t hit her, but it was a wakeup call for me. The rage I was feeling in my brain had never been there after my other kids, but it was present far too often now. I realized I needed to make changes in my life immediately to stop the spiral before it felt too hard to change. 

Once I recognized my need for help, I reached out to family and made goals to get in some self-care. With the supportive help of a loving husband, and the kindness of so many others, I have learned how to better recognize what I need to do to invite the Spirit into my life more. I have felt strength and support. My weak moments are less, and my ability to stay in control has increased. I feel grateful for this experience that has given me much greater empathy for others."

No comments:

Post a Comment